My Favorite Virginia Residents!

Monday, April 7, 2008

Let's Go Fly a Kite!!

March 29th marked the beginning of my favorite time of year in Washington D.C. which is, the "Cherry Blossom Festival." Downtown by all the historic sites, there are cherry blossom trees that were given as a gift from Japan to the US Government in the early 1900's. These trees produce the first tree blossoms of spring and are planted around the Potomac River Basin. The blossoms are pink & white and remind me of the song, "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree." To start off the festival, the city has a Kite Flying day where anyone can bring a kite down to the National Mall (the park area in the center of DC which is near the Capitol Building) and have a picnic and play. My roommate, Amanda, and I took the metro into the city and met up with ward members to enjoy the sight! The metro was so packed that it took 15 minutes for the train to unload- I've never seen it so packed! The weather was perfect for kite flying. After watching the kite festival, we walked around the basin and took in the World War II & Jefferson Memorials. At times like these, I feel so blessed to live in the DC area. Here are a few pics of the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So cool Crystal. It makes me think that you really are lucky to live in such a cool area.

~Nat

Sunrise at Skudders Beach

Sunrise at Skudders Beach
A View from our Balconey